About the School of Social Work
The School of Social Work (SSW) at Texas State University is a vibrant and growing unit of the College of Applied Arts. The School offers two degree programs, both fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education:
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), prepares students for generalist practice
- Master of Social Work (MSW), prepares students for advanced specialized practice.
The School provides some outstanding advantages:
- A charming Hill Country setting and tree-covered campus on the crystal clear San Marcos River
- A location midway between San Antonio and Austin; its site and ambiance offer the best of small-town easy living and metropolitan advantage
- A dedicated, knowledgeable, ethical, and academically prepared faculty representing a wide variety of interests and backgrounds
- A well-planned curriculum which is very relevant to the work world and which carries high expectations for student learning
- A broad array of interesting field placement settings across Central Texas (both rural and urban areas) in which students work in agencies under the supervision of licensed social workers
- Small classes (in comfortable and attractive classrooms) with lots of interaction between students and faculty
- A solid MSW program offering advanced standing
The School, which boasts over 600 students at any time, as well as thousands of graduates, has long been committed to preparing social workers to practice competently with those clients who are most forgotten in our society: these are the clients who are typically served by public agencies. Not only are the School’s graduates well-prepared to deal effectively with the most marginalized populations, they are also quite competent in working with a broad spectrum of clients, other professionals, policy-makers, and organizations. A key component to their preparation is the School’s extensive network of public and private agencies, both rural and urban, in which students are placed for field practicum.
Contact us for more information on an exciting career in social work!